Associate Degree Course Sequence
SSC101 Student Success Seminar
RCT121 Introduction to Respiratory Care
RCT122 Medical Gas Administration
RCT124 Pharmacology for R.T.
BIO123 Principles of Human Structure & Function
BIO125 Medical Terminology
CHM121 General, Organic and Biological Chemistry I
RCT123 Airway Management Procedures
RCT125 Clinical Practice Basic Procedures/Seminar
MTH125 College Algebra
RCT129 Respiratory Diseases
RCT126 Introduction to Critical Care
RCT128 Clinical Practice Airway Management/Seminar
ENG124 College Composition
Social Science Elective
BIO221 Principles of Microbiology
RCT221 Advanced Respiratory Care Procedures
RCT224 Clinical Practice Critical Care/Seminar
RCT220 Cardiopulmonary A&P
ITD122 Computer Applications for Professionals
RCT223 Patient Assessment and Monitoring
RCT225 Clinical Practice Specialty Rotations/Seminar
TOTAL CREDITS 72
- What is respiratory care?
Respiratory care is a health care specialty involved in the assessment, treatment, management and diagnostic evaluation of patients with cardiopulmonary disease.
- What are respiratory therapists?
Respiratory therapists work under the direction of a physician. They are part of a multidisciplinary team of health professionals that provide care for patients with conditions such as asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, pneumonia, chest trauma, as well as other lung and heart diseases. Respiratory therapists are trained in adult, pediatric and neonatal care.
- What job duties/procedures do respiratory therapists perform?
- Administration of medical gases, including oxygen
- Aerosol therapy
- Hyperinflation therapy
- Bronchial hygiene techniques
- Arterial blood gas punctures
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Ventilator management
- EKG monitoring
- Diagnostic testing
- Sleep studies
- What areas of patient care are respiratory therapists involved in?
- General medical
- Intensive care
- Pediatric and neonatal
- Home care
- Long term acute care
- Where are respiratory therapists employed?
- Long term acute care facilities
- Outpatient facilities
- Homecare equipment companies
- Physicians’ offices
For more information regarding the field of respiratory care see www.aarc.org/.