The academic advising process at Stark State College is a significant aspect of student development. More than helping schedule courses, this process helps students fulfill their potential. To achieve this objective, faculty and counseling personnel are available to advise students in person or online. Every faculty member is an advisor to students enrolled in his/her course. The faculty member is the best source of information pertaining to a course. Students enrolling for 21 or more credit hours must have an academic advisor’s signature.
Depending on student need, the academic advising process may involve:
- analysis of the student’s long-range aspirations, goals and abilities
- analysis of educational and career objectives
- selection of academic major
- planning course sequence in academic major
- class scheduling
- continuous assessment and possible referral