Spring 2013 Graduation
Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 2 p.m. (There will be no rehearsal prior to the ceremony.)
Candidates should arrive at 12:30 p.m. in the McKinley Room of the Civic Center.
The ceremony will last approximately two hours
Caps, gowns, announcements, and tassels can be picked up at the Grad Fair on April 30 - May 1 located in the student cafeteria area or can be picked up in the bookstore, at a time to be specified later. If you have any questions about regalia, please contact the bookstore at 330-966-5452.
There are no tickets for the ceremony. Seating is on a first come, first serve basis. Ushers will be available to direct guests to seating.
- Gentlemen – dark slacks, dress shoes, white shirt and tie. No sport or tennis shoes please.
- Ladies – dark dress, skirt, or slacks. Conservative height heels (you will be walking up and down stairs).
- Line Up: Candidates will go to the Graduate Check-In table to receive their seating assignment. Candidates will line up fully dressed in the McKinley Room. Please do not bring any personal items with you that you cannot carry on you.
- Tassels: During the processional and the ceremony, the tassel should be worn on the front right of the cap to represent associate degree candidate. Those graduating Phi Theta Kappa will wear the gold stole only. At the conclusion of the ceremony, the President will instruct graduates to move the tassel to a position that represents the newly conferred degree.
Chappell Graduation Images will take a photograph of each candidate as he/she crosses the stage. Approximately three weeks after the ceremony, each candidate will receive a proof of the picture taken along with ordering instructions sent to their Stark State email address.
Candidates and guest requiring accommodation assistance because of disability should call the Disabilities Services at 330-966-5450 ext. 4423, V/TDD 330-966-5451 by May 10th. Seating areas are available for guests who use wheelchairs or cannot climb stairs with family seating in nearby arena seats.
Candidates with an overall GPA of 3.80 or better will graduate with “High Distinction”. Graduates with an overall GPA of 3.40 or better will graduate with “With Distinction”. Candidates who are Phi Theta Kappa members will receive a letter from Advisor, Cherie Barth, with instructions to pick up regalia in the bookstore.
Degrees are typically posted to the transcripts within 7 days of the end of the semester. If you order a transcript before your degree is posted, mark the request to indicate that the transcript should be sent after the degree is posted.
Diplomas will not be given at the ceremony; they will be mailed for all graduates starting on Monday, May 27. Please ensure you have a correct address on file.
Tips for an Extraordinary Ceremony:
- Please notify the Department Chair of your program as to the proper annunciation of your name to ensure that it is pronounced correctly during the commencement ceremony.
- Leave personal items like coats and purses with guests. There are no facilities available for storing these items during ceremony. Therefore, Stark State College cannot be held responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged items.
- Arrive early enough to allow adequate time to line up with your technology.
- There is no formal rehearsal for the ceremony, although a detailed explanation of the ceremony will be reviewed in the McKinley room. It is important to follow the Marshals from your academic division. They will assist you as you line up and lead you into the civic center to your seat.
- Direct your guest to the seating area when you arrive.
- Dress appropriately for this special occasion.