Site Index A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P R S T U V W

Out-of-State Academic Student Complaint Procedure

Students taking online classes at Stark State College who are from out-of-state should attempt to resolve any issues or complaints with the College first. If after following the College’s Student Complaint – Academic procedure, an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint about Stark State College with your State by referring to the following State Agencies.  This is in compliance with federal Department of Education’s State Authorization regulations.



Agency Name and Telephone

Link / Information about Complaint Process


Alabama Commission on Higher Education
Telephone: (334) 242-1998


Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education
Telephone: (907) 465-2962


Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education
Telephone: (602) 542-5709


Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Telephone: (501) 371-2000

ADHE requires the certified institution to make a decision on the student grievance following the institution’s public policy.  Inquiries into student grievances must be limited to AHECB certified (under Arkansas Code §6‐61‐301) courses/degree programs and institutions and to matters related to the criteria for certification. Within 20 days of completing the institution’s grievance procedures, the student may file the complaint in writing with the ICAC Coordinator, Arkansas Department of Higher Education, 114 East Capitol, Little Rock, AR 72201. The grievant must provide a statement from the institution verifying that the institution’s appeal process has been followed. ADHE will notify the institution of the grievance within 15 days of the filing. Within 10 days after ADHE notification, the institution must submit a written response to ADHE. Other action may be taken by ADHE as needed.


California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
Telephone: (916) 431-6959


Colorado Department of Higher Education
Telephone: (303) 866-2723


Connecticut Office of Higher Education
Telephone: (860) 947-1801


Delaware Department of Education
Telephone: (302) 735-4000

District of Columbia

District of Columbia Education Licensure Commission
Telephone: (202) 727-6436


Contact the Ohio Board of Regents


Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission
Telephone: (770) 414-3300


Hawaii Post-secondary Education Authorization Program
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Telephone: (808) 933-0910


Idaho State Board of Education
Telephone: (208) 334-2270


Illinois Board of Higher Education
Telephone: (217) 782-2551


Indiana Commission on Higher Education
Telephone: (317) 232-1320


Iowa College Student Aid Commission
Telephone: (515) 725-3400


Kansas Board of Regents
Telephone: (785) 296-4917


Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
Telephone: (502) 573-1555


Louisiana Board of Regents
Telephone: (225) 342-4253


Maine Department of Education
Telephone: (207) 624-6600


Maryland Higher Education Commission
Telephone: (410) 767-3301

The institution is subject to investigation of complaints by the Office of the Attorney General or the Maryland Higher Education Commission.
Individuals who wish to submit a complaint may use the following contact information:
Maryland Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, 200 St. Paul St., Baltimore, MD 21202;  410-528-8662/(888)743-0823 (toll free)


Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
Telephone: (617) 994-6950


Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Telephone: (517) 373-1820,4534,7-164-17331---,00.html


Minnesota Office of Higher Education
Telephone: (651) 642-0567


Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation
Telephone: (601) 432-6198


Missouri Department of Higher Education
Telephone: (573) 751-2361


Montana University System, Montana Board of Regents
Telephone: (406) 444-6570


Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education
Telephone: (402) 471-2847


Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education
Telephone: (702) 486-7330

New Hampshire

New Hampshire Department of Education
Telephone: (603) 271-3494

New Jersey

New Jersey Secretary of Higher Education
Telephone: (609) 588-3226

New Mexico

New Mexico Higher Education Department
Telephone: (505) 476-8400

New York

New York Office of College and University Evaluation
Telephone: (518) 474-2593

North Carolina

The University of North Carolina Board of Governors
Telephone: (919) 807-7146

North Dakota

North Dakota University System
Telephone: (701) 328-3180


Ohio Board of Regents
Telephone: (614) 466-2752


Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
Telephone: (405) 255-9100


Oregon Office of Degree Authorization
Telephone: (503) 947-5600

All complaints about schools under our regulatory jurisdiction or an exempt status approved by this office are handled by Office of Degree Authorization (ODA) staff. Complaints about exempt schools are referred to the Attorney General’s office.
We accept written or email complaints. When a complaint is received, we first evaluate the information to substantiate its relevance to Oregon rules and statutes. If the complaint appears to have merit or indicate non-compliance on the part of the school, we contact the school to request information regarding the case. All correspondence is kept in the school’s file. We continue to mediate between the student and the school until it we receive an indication that the complaint is unfounded or resolved.
Please call ODA for more information at (541) 687-7400 - Eugene/Springfield area and (800) 452-8807 - Toll-free;


Pennsylvania Department of Education, Division of Higher
Telephone: (717) 783-6137

Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico Council on Education
Telephone: (787) 641-7100

Rhode Island

Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education
Telephone: (401) 456-6008

South Carolina

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
Telephone: (803) 737-2260,FamiliesMilitary/LearningAboutCollege/ConsumerInformation.aspx

South Dakota

South Dakota Secretary of State
Telephone: (605) 773-3455


Tennessee Higher Education Commission
Telephone: (615) 741-3605


Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Telephone: (512) 427-6101

The web address for the Texas Higher Education Coordinator Board's Student Complaint page with forms and a description of the complaint procedure is found at:
The web address for the rules governing student complaints - Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code, Sections 1.110-1.120 is found at:$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=19&pt=1&ch=1&rl=116


Utah Division of Consumer Protection
Telephone: (801) 530-6601


Vermont State Board of Education
Telephone: (802) 828-3135


State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
Telephone: (804) 371-2285


Washington Student Achievement Council
Telephone: (360) 753-7869

Students may submit a formal complaint to the Washington Student Achievement Council, provided it is against an institution authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council and is within one year of the last date of attendance. For more information, please contact the Washington Student Achievement Council at 360‐753‐7800.

West Virginia

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
Telephone: (304) 558-4016


Wisconsin Educational Approval Board
Telephone: 608) 266-1996


Wyoming Department of Education
Telephone: (307) 777-5712