In August 2012, Stark State College achieved a Silver Rating from the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System (STARS) developed by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). A full report is available at: https://stars.aashe.org/institutions/
About STARS: STARS as a voluntary reporting system for colleges and universities to measure progress toward sustainability. AASHE designed STARS with the following goals:
- Provide a guide for advancing sustainability in all sectors of higher education.
- Enable meaningful comparisons over time and across institutions by establishing a common standard of measurement for sustainability in higher education.
- Create incentives for continual improvement toward sustainability.
- Facilitate information sharing about higher education sustainability practices and performance.
- Build a stronger, more diverse campus sustainability community.
The current version of STARS entitled STARS Version 1.2 consists of four categories including Education & Research, Operations, Planning, Administration & Engagement, and Innovation.
GHG Emissions Inventory
Stark State College used the Clean Air-Cool Planet Campus Carbon Calculator for Higher Education Institutions to complete its first Greenhouse Gas Inventory during the 2011-2012 academic year. The data is available at the following link to allow campus community members to explore the college’s carbon footprint and the factors contributing to our emissions. The inventory, a crucial first step toward campus climate action efforts, looks at categories such as on-campus energy production, purchased electricity, transportation, waste, agriculture and refrigerants.
About the GHG Emissions Calculator: Since 2002, CA-CP has provided the Campus Carbon Calculator as a free, comprehensive, transparent, and customizable solution to measuring and analyzing institutional greenhouse gas emissions. The Calculator has three modules that walk users through the process of strategically reducing institutional emissions.
- Inventory module: Compile an institutional greenhouse gas inventory, or an account of the amounts and sources of emissions of greenhouse gases attributable to the existence and operations of an institution
- Projections module: Estimate the future trend of the institution's emissions profile
- Solutions module: Easily utilize life cycle cost accounting to determine the most cost effective emissions reductions projects
Stark State College will use the results of the STARS assessment and the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Report as a basis to create a Campus Sustainability Plan.
- Greenhouse Gas Reporting Calculators
- Household Emissions Calculator
- Cool Climate Emissions Calculator
- UN Guide to Climate Neutrality
- The One-Tonne Challenge
- Picturing a ton of CO2
- I Wanna Go Green… So Show Me The Math!