Water Fast Facts
On average, Americans consume 150 gallons of water each day. Only one-half gallon (less than 0.5 percent) is used for drinking. The other 149.5 gallons are used for cleaning, cooking, bathing, flushing, watering the lawn and washing cars — or simply run down the drain unnecessarily.
How much water does it take?
- To take a bath: 36 gallons each time
- To flush a toilet: 1.6 to 6 gallons per flush, depending on the model
- To brush your teeth: 3 gallons per minute
- To hand-wash dishes: 3 gallons per minute
- To run the dishwasher: 6 gallons each load
- To wash clothes in the washing machine: 48 gallons each load
- To water the lawn or other outside uses: 10 gallons per minute
Source: National Wildlife Federation, www.nwr.org