Upward Bound Math-Science Academy
- “The ‘Reel’ Deal: Lights, Camera … College!” was the theme of this summer’s (2015) Upward Bound Math-Science program
Are you a high school student interested in pursuing your education beyond your high school diploma? Are you eyeing a career in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics field? The Upward Bound Math-Science Academy (UBMS) helps you take the next educational step by boosting your academic preparation, career exploration and access to college resources. The Academy provides 50 students per year with a helping hand, right through high school graduation.
The UBMS Academy is a federal TRiO program that helps disadvantaged students prepare for and begin postsecondary education. The Academy provides access to academic support, pre-college advising, test preparation, co-curricular activities and enrichment so you’ll be ready to succeed in your educational pursuits beyond high school.
How are services delivered?
UBMS Academy students receive services during all four years of high school (grades nine-12), then stay in contact with the program as a UBMS TRiO alumni. You’ll be required to participate in year-round, college-readiness services that include:
Academic year component (September – May)
- weekly after-school, “College Connection” study groups
- monthly workshops (one Saturday per month)
- college tours and campus visits
- standardized test preparation
- field trips, cultural outings and leadership training
- intensive senior-year application and financial aid application assistance
Summer academy (six weeks)
- non-residential, day program at Stark State College (Monday-Friday)
- engineering and allied health laboratories
- technology, mathematics and language instruction
- hands-on, interesting courses designed specifically for high school learners
Upward Bound Math-Science benefits students who want
- experience in college laboratories conducting scientific research
- assistance preparing for OGT/ACT/SAT exams
- fee waivers and help applying to colleges
- leadership development and cultural enrichment
- exposure to cultural events and community service opportunities
- college tours and campus visitation days
- financial aid counseling and scholarship search assistance
- professional mentoring and career exploration
What is the cost of the program?
Program services are available at no cost to eligible participants. The Upward Bound Math-Science Academy is a federal TRiO program funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Postsecondary Education.