Be ready to step in to assist attorneys in the performance of their professional duties with a degree in legal assisting.
Legal administrative assistants are increasingly relied upon by private law firms, offices of public defenders, court systems, government agencies, corporate legal departments, insurance companies, banks, real estate agencies, community service agencies and programs, consumer organizations and health care facilities.
You’ll be eligible to take certification exams to become an Accredited Legal Professional (ALP), Professional Legal Secretary (PLS) and Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS).
Stark Sate also offers a certificate program in legal assisting for non-degree-seeking students. Students selecting the certificate program may apply credits earned in this one-year program to the associate degree. You will be awarded a certificate in legal assisting upon completion of the program.
Work in many areas, including these and others:
- law firms
- corporate legal departments
- government agencies
Prepare for a career in these roles and others:
- legal assistant
- administrative assistant
- legal researcher
- law clerk
Your pathway to a degree
You can start with a legal assisting certificate, taking classes that directly apply to the associate degree in legal assisting.
Legal assisting certificate
- Full-time certificate advising sheet (PDF)
- Part-time certificate advising sheet (PDF)
- Course descriptions
- Associate of applied business in legal assisting
Program learning outcomes
- Use appropriate resources to organize and develop information effectively and exhibit proficiency in the use of legal office procedures and legal information systems used in law offices and government and private agencies.
- Acquire, organize and evaluate information for making decisions and solving problems in a legal office environment.
- Demonstrate employability skills and professionalism in legal office occupations through sound work habits, ethics and responsibility, and work in individual and diverse team settings.
- Determine solution strategies to solve problems in the legal office environment by using the appropriate computational skills and technology.
- Franklin University
Gainful employment disclosure
Program related scholarships
- Betty Jean Morford Scholarship