Classes begin: Monday, Aug. 28
Classes end: Sunday, Dec. 10
1st 8-week classes
2nd 8-wk classes
Classes begin: Monday, Jan. 8
Classes end: Sunday, May 5
1st 8-week classes
2nd 8-wk classes
Classes begin: Monday, June 3
Classes end: Sunday, August 11
1st 5-week session
2nd 5-week session
When can I register?
- The registration period for fall and summer semesters opens every February. Spring semester registration opens in October. Check the academic calendar for specific dates.
- Students with current or former military status have the opportunity to register the Friday before registration opens to all students. Contact the Military Services Office to take advantage of this priority registration option.
- Current returning students can sign up for classes online at mySSC. Check out this helpful video tutorial before you register. If you have a question about logging into your mySSC account, please contact the HelpDesk.
- New and current students can meet with an advisor to sign up for classes during normal business hours. New students should contact the admissions office to schedule an appointment, while current students can make an advising appointment through the Starfish Success Network.
- To access Starfish, sign into mySSC >> General menu >> Starfish
- Contact admissions at 330-494-6170, ext. 4228 or email@example.com
- Current students can set up an appointment to register for classes by calling Gateway Student Services (330-494-6170 ext. 4301), or by visiting the Returning Student Advising Center’s virtual advising hours listed on their mySSC group page.
How to choose classes
- All available classes for the upcoming semester are listed online
- Gateway and academic advisors are available to help you select and register for your classes. Current students can also use the Returning Student Advising Center for advising or you can choose your own courses and self-register.
To better understand what classes you need to take to work towards your degree or certificate, take a look at this video tutorial on how to navigate your My Academic Plan (MAP).
If you are selecting and registering for courses on your own, be sure to:
- Understand the degree or certificate requirements listed in your MAP. (Reach out to your advisor if you have questions.)
- Plan for the whole year. If you are near graduation, be sure to understand when the classes you need will be offered. Many courses are only offered in one semester each year, so you always want to plan ahead.
- Understand prerequisites. These are courses that must be taken before you can enroll in another course.
If you’re new to Stark State College, you likely fall into one of these three groups. Please note the differences in the steps to register for class below.
- New student | If you are attending college for the first time and you have been admitted, you must participate in an advising session with a Gateway advisor – in-person, by phone or virtual appointment – to register for classes.
- Transfer student | Students coming to SSC from another college who have been admitted must participate in an advising session with a Gateway advisor – in-person, by phone or virtual appointment – to register for classes.
- Transient/Guest student | Admitted students attending Stark State for a session with permission from a home college or who are taking courses for personal knowledge or to update skills must participate in an advising session with a Gateway advisor – in-person, by phone or virtual appointment – to register for classes.
To schedule an advising session, contact main campus Admissions or Stark State College Akron.
If you are currently enrolled as a student at Stark State, or you’ve only been away for a semester or two, the steps below are everything you need to register for classes.
- Update your financial aid information, if necessary, to ensure your award is on track. Learn more about the financial aid process by contacting the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Schedule an appointment with your advisor to choose your classes. You can easily schedule an advising appointment with your academic or Gateway advisor through your Starfish Success Network. To access Starfish, sign into mySSC >> general tools >> Starfish. You can also see your advisor’s contact information in your academic profile widget when you log in to mySSC.
- Register for classes online via mySSC, in person with your advisor or the Returning Student Advising Center (RAC). If you would like more information on how to register, see the Registration Information tab.
- Pay your bill – be sure to familiarize yourself with the myBill+Payment tool on mySSC. This is where you will find your most current invoice, sign up for a payment plan and make payments. Even if you qualify for financial aid, you need to check your balance in myBill+Payment on a regular basis to ensure you’re classes are paid in full.
All students are encouraged to meet with an advisor before scheduling classes. Advisors can help answer questions and put you on the best path to achieve your goals.
New students who have completed less than 15 credit hours are assigned to a Gateway advisor. This advisor is assigned at initial enrollment to the College.
Students who are seeking a certificate only and students with more than 15 credit hours are transitioned to a faculty advisor within the division of their major or program area.
If you are unsure who your advisor is, please log on to mySSC and view the academic profile widget. The contact information for your advisor should be listed there. If it is not or if you have questions, please reach out to Gateway Student Services by email@example.com or call 330-494-6170.
Starfish Success Network is the platform that will be used most to communicate with your advisor. Through Starfish, you can schedule an advising appointment and reach out with questions. To access Starfish, sign into mySSC >> general tools >> Starfish.