For more information about specific organizations, please email or visit the Office of Student Life in room S302a.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Association for Medical Laboratory Technicians (AMLT)
- Beta Beta Beta (Tri Beta) Biological Honor Society
- Chess Club
- Criminal Justice Student Association
- Cultural Diversity Club
- Engineering Technology Club
- Environmental Club
- Future Speakers of America
- Heads Up
- High Technology Crime Investigation Association (HTCIA)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Institute of Management Accountants (IMA)
- International Association for Hydrogen Energy
- International Club
- Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education
- LGBTS Global
- Multimedia Group
- Native American Indian Organization
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
- Respiratory Therapy Club
- Rotaract (Alliance Satellite Center)
- Ski and Snowboarding Club
- Social Science Club
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Software Development Guild
- Stark Raving Writers
- Stark Voices – Student Publication/Newspaper
- Stark State College Association of Medical Assistants
- Stark State College Student Chapter of the American Chemical Society
- Student Ambassador Program
- Student American Dental Hygienist Association (SADHA)
- Student Dietary Association at Stark State College
- Student Government Association/InterClub Council
- Student Health Information Management Association (SHIMA)
- Student Nurse Association (SNA)
- Student Occupational Therapy Assistant Club (SOTA)
- Student Physical Therapist Assistant Club (SPTA)
- Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE)
- Students in Human and Social Services Club
- The Edge
- TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly)
- Veterans Club at Stark State College
- Women of Color
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To provide essential value to members, their careers, and the public through developing leadership, advancing technology, advocating lifelong learning, and promoting the profession.
• ADVISOR: Geoff Wopershall (email@example.com) Room B215, Ext. 4850
• Stark State ASCE Web Site
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: Professional and academic development, leadership qualities and networking with the area professionals for the student members and leaders.
• ADVISOR: Chandra Jain (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room B215, Ext. 4441
• ASME National Web Site
Association for Medical Laboratory Technicians (AMLT)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To help improve and maintain acceptability standards of professional practice by continuing the member’s educational and professional growth. To promote the welfare of the students in the MLT program. To promote communication between students, faculty, and alumni. To maintain professional standards outlined by ASCP and ASCLS – OHIO. To engage in educational and social activities to promote the general welfare of the MLT program at Stark State College.
• ADVISOR: Kay Hanna (email@example.com) Room J306, Ext. 4241
Beta Beta Beta (Tri Beta) Biological Honor Society
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To function as an honor and professional society for students of the biological sciences. Its activities shall be designed to stimulate interest, scholarly attainment, and investigation in the biological sciences, and to promote the dissemination of information and new interpretations among students of the life sciences.
• ADVISOR: Annissa Langworthy (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room H209p, Ext. 4881
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: C3 brings together students interested in graphics, animation, and video gaming. This is a social club that encourages students to come in and hang out with friends while learning about the various topics that affect the interactive media industries.
• ADVISOR: Mike Geig (email@example.com) Room C100, Ext. 5125
GOAL/DESCRIPTION:To provide a venue for students to stimulate their creativity, follow specific rules of gaming and individual ethics, share their knowledge with students wishing to acquire abilities to participate in the game of Chess, and organize events, challenges and competitions for members and nonmembers alike.
Criminal Justice Student Association
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To provide students with opportunities to meet and socialize with other criminal justice majors, provide opportunities to volunteer in the community and network within the field, and provide opportunities to expand their knowledge of the profession.
• ADVISOR: Angela Smith Alder (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room T108c, Ext. 5282
Cultural Diversity Club
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To promote the best of a culturally diverse atmosphere. This organization is committed to assisting all students in their endeavor to attain a higher level of education, by directing them to the appropriate organization or office to help them solve problems that may prevent them from meeting academic standards.
• ADVISOR: Carrilyn Long (email@example.com) Room T112a, Ext. 4491
• ADVISOR: Robin Tyler (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room S302, Ext. 4274
Engineering Technology Club
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To promote practice of engineering technology techniques through the participation in student projects and competitions.
• ADVISOR: Eric Loew (email@example.com) Room B215, Ext. 4129
• ADVISOR: Greg Harstine (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room B215, Ext. 4426
• Engineering Technology Club Web Site
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To promote environmental education, awareness, and appreciation, and to implement, educate, and assist in any programs of recycling, reducing, and reusing on the Stark State College campus and within the community.
• ADVISOR: C. Scott Williams (email@example.com) Room B215, Ext. 4014
• National Association of Environmental Professionals Web Site
• Environmental Club Web Site
Future Speakers of America
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: Future Speakers of America gives students opportunities to practice and apply communication and public speaking skills. The club offers coaching, workshops and other help for nervous speech-givers, and members enjoy a fun and inviting atmosphere in building relationships with fellow students and faculty. The group also gets help with the Effective Speaking class requirements.
• ADVISOR: Dr. James Belcher (firstname.lastname@example.org), Room E208c, Ext. 4011
• ADVISOR: Brad Palmer (email@example.com), Room E208c, Ext. 5190
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To assist incoming Minority Males in their transition to Stark State College (SSC) and being academically successful at the college. Provide a means for responsible and effective student participation, provide opportunities for personal growth through organization and leadership opportunities and provide a means whereby students may gain experience through responsible participation. Act as a resource for minority males on campus, encourage access and success on the part of SSC Minority Male students and provide a voice through which minority male student opinions may be expressed. Provide a vehicle for students to develop meaningful contacts and relationships and provide a forum for closer interaction with the faculty and staff.
• Watch YouTube Video about Heads Up>>
• ADVISOR: John Jivens (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room S302b, Ext. 4514
High Technology Crime Investigation Association (HTCIA)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To encourage, promote, aid, and affect the voluntary interchange of data, information, experience, and knowledge about methods, processes among the membership. To promote a representative, centralized organization to collect, collate, coordinate, and distribute data, information, ideas, knowledge, methods, and techniques by any suitable means in order to improve the efficiency, promote uniformity in investigative methods, and develop matters of mutual interest to the membership.
• ADVISOR: Glenn Goe (email@example.com) Room C100, Ext. 4857
Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To enhance awareness of the SSC’s electrical and electronic engineering technology programs, as well as the capabilities and communication within the Northeast Ohio Electrical/Electronic community. To provide a means whereby students may gain experience through responsible participation in electrical/electronic engineering technology activities.
• ADVISOR: Vern Sproat (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room B215, Ext. 4379
• IEEE National Web Site
• IEEE Local Web Site
Institute of Management Accountants (IMA)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: The group exists for the purpose of drawing together accounting and financial services students at the College. To provide a forum for students to learn more about the opportunities within their chosen field. To show the students how to contribute to the community and further their education within the field to obtain professional certifications.
• ADVISOR: Linda Gibson (email@example.com) Room M337, Ext. 5088
• Stark State IMA Web Site
International Association for Hydrogen Energy
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: Promote an increased knowledge of, and greater interest in the science, development, and management and applications of hydrogen energy, among members of Chapter and the general public. Serve as an informational group providing information about hydrogen energy. Serve as an intermediate and contact point between members and the industry/academia for job opportunities in hydrogen energy related areas. Develop ties with other IAHE Student Chapters and National Chapters of IAHE.
• ADVISOR: Vern Sproat (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room C100ah, Ext. 4379
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To promote better international understanding and cooperation at Stark State College. To help foreign students at SSC become acquainted with each other and the American way of life. To help Americans at SSC become acquainted with customs and traditions of other lands.
• ADVISOR: Kim Chhay (email@example.com) Room S303, Ext. 4667
Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To support educators, and recognize scholarship and excellence in Education. Provides opportunities for professional development, service learning and leadership.
• ADVISOR: Marie Glossen (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room T110b, Ext. 4984
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: The purpose of the group known as LGBTS (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Straight) Global is to promote harmony among all sexually diverse communities, end homophobia, provide a safe place for students to meet, support each other and talk about issues related to sexual orientation and gender identity, and work on educating ourselves and the broader Stark State College community about sexual orientation and gender identity issues.
• ADVISOR: Paul Schwitzgebel (email@example.com) Room C100, Ext. 4906
• LGBTS website
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To allow people with an interest in the media field to network, learn, and exchange information. An auxiliary function of this club is to allow the grouping of students for the purpose of developing their own multimedia projects.
• ADVISOR: Maria Bleahu (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room C100h, Ext. 5221
Native American Indian Organization
GOAL/DESCRIPTION:Provide a support network for Native American students on campus and to also provide opportunities to learn about Native American peoples, histories, and cultures for both the organization’s members and the College community at large.
• ADVISOR: Larry Ray (email@example.com) Room C100g, Ext. 4918
Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To recognize and encourage scholarship among associate degree students. To provide opportunity for development of leadership and service, for an intellectual climate to exchange ideas and ideals, for lively fellowship for scholars, and for stimulation of interest in continuing academic excellence.
• ADVISOR: Cherie Barth (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room S302a, Ext. 4237
• Stark State Phi Theta Kappa Chapter Web Site
• Phi Theta Kappa Ohio Region Web Site
• International Phi Theta Kappa Web Site
Respiratory Therapy Club
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: Community awareness of respiratory care, professional growth, and fundraising projects.
• ADVISOR: Tracy Singer (email@example.com) Room J300
• ADVISOR: Brooke Owen (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room J336, Ext. 5330
Rotaract (Alliance Satellite Center)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION:A Rotary-sponsored service club for young men and women ages 18 to 30. Rotaract clubs are either community or university based, and they’re sponsored by a local Rotary club. This makes them true "partners in service" and key members of the family of Rotary.
• ADVISOR: Jessica Grimes (email@example.com) Alliance Satellite Center, Ext. 4672
Social Science Club
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To provide a dynamic contribution to society through the broadening of knowledge and understanding of the Social Sciences, namely Psychology, Anthropology, Economics, and Sociology.
• ADVISOR: Nicole Cleland, (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room E208l, Ext. 4623
• ADVISOR: Natashia Willmott, (email@example.com) Room E208l, Ext. 5293
Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: Professional development, networking with the area businesses and industries, leadership qualities, and educational resources. Offers scholarships/funding in the Manufacturing education.
• ADVISOR: Chandra Jain (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room C100, Ext. 4441
• SME National Web Site
Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: A non-profit, educational, service organization dedicated to making known the need for women engineers and encouraging young women to consider an engineering education.
• ADVISOR: Kelly Mullane (email@example.com) Room S305, Ext. 4223
• National SWE Web Site
Software Development Guild
GOAL/DESCRIPTION:To promote software craftsmanship amongst its members. Students will work together to hone their skills while branching out and learning concepts and best practices in varying areas not covered in traditional education. Will fortify work skills and prepare students for employment after graduation.
• ADVISOR: Mike Geig (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room C100l, Ext. 5125
Stark Raving Writers
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To reinforce the social aspect of writing and encourage writing as a continued practice outside of the classroom. To promote awareness of the Writing Center and get students acquainted with the tutors. The writing group will work together in the group dynamic and in developing the publication.
• ADVISOR: Tara Stallman (email@example.com) Room E209, Ext. 5433
Stark Voices – Student Publication/Newspaper
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To provide the students, faculty and staff of Stark State College with an informative and worth while publication. To keep the college community informed of school events. To provide a place for students to voice their questions and opinions. To spotlight any groups or clubs making news at SSC. To promote teamwork. To develop raw talent.
• ADVISOR: Nicole Herrera (firstname.lastname@example.org) E244, Ext. 5209
• ADVISOR: Elizabeth Modarelli (email@example.com) E244, Ext. 4928
• Student Informer online
• Submit an article/information
Stark State College Association of Medical Assistants
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To foster professionalism in the medical assisting students by providing opportunities to uphold the code of ethics of the AAMA. This includes giving back to the community, continually learning new things, and treating everyone with respect and dignity. To create a sense of belonging by having activities that brings all the students together for a common goal.
• ADVISOR: Diane Laskey (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room J327, Ext. 4321
Stark State College Student Chapter of the American Chemical Society
GOAL/DESCRIPTION:To afford an opportunity for students of a chemical science to become better acquainted, to secure the intellectual stimulation that arises from professional association, to obtain experience in preparing and presenting technical material before chemical audiences, to foster a professional spirit among the members, to instill a professional pride in the chemical sciences, and to foster an awareness of the responsibilities and challenges of the modern chemist.
• ADVISOR: Amy Jo Sanders (email@example.com) Room E218, Ext. 4428
Student Ambassador Program
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: This program is comprised of a select group of students to represent Stark State College, both on and off campus. Student Ambassadors serve as liaisons between the College and the community.
• ADVISOR: Cherie Barth (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room S302a, Ext. 4237
Student American Dental Hygienist Association (SADHA)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: A category of membership within the American Dental Hygienists Association. Dedicated to the advancement and promotion of dental hygiene and is the association of the profession. Supports student dental hygiene activities. Membership offers students opportunities for travel, scholarship, research and scholarly activity, networking and employment assistance. The club focuses on fundraising to support activities and involvement in ADHA activities and conferences.
• ADVISOR: Nancy Stanwick (email@example.com) Room H209g, Ext. 4540
• ADVISOR: Nancy Woodruff (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room H209h, Ext. 4506
Student Dietary Association at Stark State College
GOAL/DESCRIPTION:To help improve and maintain acceptability standards of professional practice by continuing the member’s educational and professional growth. To promote communication between students, faculty, and alumni. To maintain the professional standards outlined by the American Dietetic Association and Dietary Manager’s Association. To engage in education and social activities to promote the general welfare of the Dietary Programs at the college.
• ADVISOR: Ann Carpenter Szalay (email@example.com) Room J323, Ext. 5121
Student Government Association/InterClub Council
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To represent students’ ideas and concerns to the College Administration and present possible solutions regarding concerns. To promote student participation in College organizations and to provide opportunities for student participation.
• ADVISOR: Cherie Barth (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room S302a, Ext. 4237
Student Health Information Management Association (SHIMA)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To help improve and maintain acceptable standards of professional practice by promoting the HIMT students’ welfare and communication between students, faculty and alumni as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
• ADVISOR: Judy Edgar (email@example.com) Room J324, Ext. 4213
Student Nurse Association (SNA)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: Students shall have primary responsibility for selecting and carrying out social and educational activities. The activities of the organization shall promote the profession of nursing and support the educational endeavors of the membership.
• ADVISOR: Marie DeLillo (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room J311, Ext. 4695
Student Occupational Therapy Assistant Club (SOTA)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To promote interest in and knowledge of Occupational Therapy. To support the educational endeavors of Occupational Therapy students at Stark State College.
• ADVISOR: Lanece Williams (email@example.com) Ext. 4521
Student Physical Therapist Assistant Club (SPTA)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To promote interest and awareness in physical therapy. To provide service activities for the community and college. To unite the first and second year Physical Therapist Assistant Technology students and participate in activities that would provide moral support to these students.
• ADVISOR: Wally Linville (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room H209t, Ext. 4619
Students in Free Enterprise
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: Work to create a student organization that will enhance both educational and professional opportunities in business environments through student meetings, conferences, and networking. Provide opportunities for members to develop leadership qualities by attending conferences and leading the Chapter. Encourage members to engage in volunteerism through service learning initiatives.
• ADVISOR: Chip Gertenslager (email@example.com) Room M341, Ext. 5094
• ADVISOR: M. Jane Upperman (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room M335, Ext. 4386
Students in Human and Social Services Club
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To provide a support network for students in the program. To provide an opportunity for students to network in the community. To provide an opportunity for students to be involved in a social service capacity.
• ADVISOR: Shirley Riddle (email@example.com) Room T112d, Ext. 4080
GOAL/DESCRIPTION:A student led group that provides opportunities for students to seek and enjoy the presence of God together. In the presence of the Lord there is love, freedom, strength, joy, peace, hope, healing, comfort, purpose, righteousness, power and truth.
• CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org
TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly)
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: The chapter’s objective is to encourage healthy lifestyles through weight-management support groups and to sponsor obesity research. To support our members as they take and keep off pounds sensibly.
• ADVISOR: Mellanie Vance (email@example.com) Room S306, Ext. 4517
Veterans of Stark State Club
GOAL/DESCRIPTION: To allow and encourage Veterans and family members of veterans to develop educationally and socially, gain organizational and leadership skills and learn more about the community involving the Veterans through personal interaction.
• ADVISOR: Ben Tobias (firstname.lastname@example.org) Room B230, Ext. 4173
Women of Color
GOAL/DESCRIPTION:To reach out to support and empower women of color to assist them in succeeding in their educational pursuits here at the College and in reaching their goals in the future. To make the campus community aware and educated about issues that relate to women of color in this community and around the world.
• ADVISOR: Kim Chhay (email@example.com) Room B230k, Ext. 4667