Surgical technologists are allied health professionals who are an integral part of the team of medical practitioners providing care to patients in a variety of surgical settings. The individual works under the direction of a surgeon to ensure that the operating room is safe, that the equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. They are often referred to as operating room technicians.
What job duties do surgical technologists perform?
- Prepare the operating room for surgery
- Select and open sterile supplies
- Check non-sterile equipment like sterilizers, lights, suction machines, electrosurgical units and diagnostic equipment
- Ready the patient for surgery such as providing the patient emotional support, checking charts, observing vital signs, positioning patients, connecting and applying surgical equipment and preparing incision sites
- Assist the surgeon during surgery by passing sterile supplies and instruments, holding instruments, and handling specimens
- Count supplies, such as sponges and instruments
- Maintain sterile environment
- Assist after operation is complete by applying dressings to incision site and transferring patients