With an associate of applied science in surgical technology, you’ll be prepared for a rewarding career as a surgical technologist.
As an integral part of the team of medical practitioners providing care to patients in a variety of surgical settings, you’ll work under the direction of a surgeon to ensure the operating room is safe, the equipment functions properly and the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. You may also be called an operating room technician.
What job duties do surgical technologists perform?
- Prepare the operating room for surgery
- Select and open sterile supplies
- Check non-sterile equipment like sterilizers, lights, suction machines, electrosurgical units and diagnostic equipment
- Ready the patient for surgery such as providing the patient emotional support, checking charts, observing vital signs, positioning patients, connecting and applying surgical equipment and preparing incision sites
- Assist the surgeon during surgery by passing sterile supplies and instruments, holding instruments, and handling specimens
- Count supplies, such as sponges and instruments
- Maintain sterile environment
- Assist after operation is complete by applying dressings to incision site and transferring patients
What is the work environment like?
- Surgical technologists are on their feet most of the day. They may need to help move patients or lift heavy trays of medical supplies and may be exposure to communicable diseases and unpleasant sights or odors.
- Most work full time and are on call during nights, weekends, and holidays. Surgical technologists may work longer than eight-hour shifts.
- Associate of applied science in surgical technology
The Surgical technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (caahep.org) upon the recommendation of Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763