Chemical Dependency Major

The associate of applied science degree in human and social services – chemical dependency is designed for those interested in counseling individuals, groups and families affected by alcohol or other drug dependency.

Become a paraprofessional entering the field of alcohol and drug treatment with training related to cultural sensitivity, community resources, human behavior ethical awareness and interviewing skills. You’ll also be prepared to take the state exam to become a licensed chemical dependency counselor II, and you may choose to continue on to a bachelor’s degree program to become a social worker.

Three-fourths of the clients served by social workers have substance abuse and/or dependency problems, but only 3% of the social workers have certifications or licensure to work with this population, according to the National Association of Social Workers.

Your pathway to a degree

You can start with a chemical dependency certificate, taking classes that directly apply to the associate degree in chemical dependency:

  • Substance Abuse
  • Victimization and Crisis Intervention
  • Chemical Dependency: Assessment and Treatment Planning
  • Fundamentals of Chemical Dependency Practice I
  • Chemical Dependency and Prevention
  • Chemical Dependency and the Family
  • Fundamentals of Chemical Dependency Practice II
  • Chemical Dependency and Ethics

Certificate Credits 20

Take these additional courses to earn an associate degree in checmical dependency that you can take right to the workforce or easily transfer to a bachelor’s degree program:

  • Student Success Seminar
  • Introduction to Social Welfare
  • College Composition
  • Sociology
  • Effective Speaking
  • Poverty in the U.S.
  • General Psychology
  • Political Science
  • Human Behavior in the Social Environment
  • Explorations in Modern Mathematics or Statistics
  • Computer Applications for Professionals
  • Basic Economics
  • Chemical Dependency Practicum and Seminar
  • Cultural Diversity
  • Human Biology

Additional Credits 44


Associate of applied science in human and social services

  • outpatient treatment facilities
  • detoxification settings
  • residential treatment facilities
  • case manager
  • licensed chemical dependency counselor II
  • chemical dependency counselor assistants
  • crisis intervention assistant
  • family support assistant
  • group home worker
  • intake worker
  • mental health technician
  • All students are required to undergo a criminal background check.
  • Katy Hatton Memorial Scholarship

View all scholarships

  • Human and Social Services Student Association
  • Student Connection Club