Human and social services
Be ready to enter the workforce with training in community resources, human behavior, interviewing skills, cultural sensitivity and ethical awareness.
You’ll be eligible to apply to become a registered social work assistant, working under the supervision of a social worker to develop and organize programs related to substance abuse, rehabilitation or domestic violence situations.
Social work assistants interview clients, compile data into reports to be reviewed by the social workers and communicate information about community resources that may benefit clients. You also may choose to continue on to a bachelor’s degree program to become a social worker.
Help meet the diverse needs of individuals and/or families for a more satisfying, self-sufficient way of life as you become knowledgeable about and sensitive to the unique needs and cultural diversity of people of all ages and socioeconomic circumstances.
Students participate in a supervised practicum as well as classroom instruction to help develop and enhance professional skills.
Work in many areas, including
- mental health
- family advocacy
- nursing homes
- criminal justice
- crisis intervention
- children’s issues
Prepare for a career as a
- case manager
- chemical dependency counselor assistant
- social worker assistant
- crisis intervention assistant
- family support assistant
- group home worker
- mental health technician
Your pathway to a degree
- Associate of applied science in human and social services
Program learning outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of social work theory and the behavioral sciences, NASW (National Association of Social Workers) ethics, human and social services programs, and community resources.
- Demonstrate the ability to provide the following client services: intake and screening, assessment and referral, case management and outreach, documentation of observations and interventions, record keeping, and termination.
- Demonstrate work readiness skills and professional behavior.
- Demonstrate an awareness of personal biases and value systems that can impact the helping relationship.
- Demonstrate employment skills and professionalism through sound work habits, responsibility, and sensitivity to the unique needs of individuals, families, and diverse groups.
- Youngstown State University
- All students are required to undergo a criminal background check.
- Katy Hatton Memorial Scholarship
- View all scholarships
- Human and social services student association
- Student connection club