Whether you are a new or returning student, I am pleased to welcome you to Stark State College. All of us at Stark State are dedicated to your academic and career success, and we are here to help you. As you select a career field and begin your academic program, I encourage you to take full advantage of the quality education and support services we offer:
- Qualified, dedicated faculty and small class sizes. Unlike universities with large lecture classes, Stark State classes are small and faculty are easy to reach. If you have questions or concerns about your classes, please talk to your faculty first. They are here to assist you in achieving your academic goals.
- Academic advisors. Your academic advisor can assist you with class schedules and other issues. If you decide to change your major or need assistance selecting a major, please talk to your academic advisor. Access your advisor via MAP on mystarkstate.
- Success Coaches. New students have success coaches to assist with your academic needs, as well as help you succeed in college while balancing work, family and other responsibilities. You’ll get one-on-one coaching appointments along with orientation and other success-focused events. (Information about Success Coaches).
- Gateway Center. Gateway Center specialists can assist you with everything from financial aid to registration. Gateway is a “one-stop” center, where all your needs are met promptly, efficiently and with serving you as our No. 1 goal. Gateway Center is open Monday through Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Thursday and Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. During enrollment periods, the Gateway Center is open evenings until 8 p.m. Stop in, call 330-494-6170 or email email@example.com.
- Career Services. Located in the Gateway Center, Career Services specialists can assist you with career exploration and information. From the website to our staff, this office helps you understand careers, make career choices and prepare for your chosen career. Career Services also connect students and graduates with employment opportunities, apprenticeships and internships with companies and organizations in the region. Stop in M104, call 330-966-5459 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stark State offers a variety of activities and involvement beyond the classroom, including student organizations (starkstate.edu/student-organizations) and our new student Recreation/Game Room in Room S200, on the second floor of the Student Services Center.
Congratulations on making an excellent choice in higher education! Now, let’s get busy and work together to ensure your academic and career success. I hope you have a good semester and that you will make your academic success a top priority; we certainly will.
Para M. Jones, Ph.D.