Whether you are a new or returning student, I am pleased to welcome you to Stark State College. Stark State is dedicated to your academic and career success, and all of us are here to help you. As Fall semester and the new academic year begin, I encourage you to take full advantage of the quality education and support services we offer:
- Qualified, dedicated faculty and small class sizes. Unlike universities with large lecture classes, Stark State classes are small and faculty are easy to reach. If you have questions or concerns about your classes, please talk to your faculty first. They are here to assist you in achieving your academic goals.
- Academic Advisors. Your academic advisor can assist you with class schedules and other issues. If you decide to change your major or need assistance selecting a major, please talk to your academic advisor. (You can access your advisor via MAP on mystarkstate)
- Success Coaches. New students also have success coaches to assist with academic needs, as well as help you succeed in college while balancing work, family and other responsibilities. (Information about Success Coaches).
- Gateway Center. Gateway Center specialists can assist you with everything from financial aid to registration. Gateway is a “one-stop” center, where all your needs are met promptly, efficiently and with serving you as our No. 1 goal. Gateway Center is open Monday through Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.; Thursday and Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. During enrollment periods, the Gateway Center is open evenings until 8 p.m. (For more information)
- Career Development. Located in the Gateway Center, Career Development specialists can assist you with career exploration and information. From the web site to our staff, Career Development offers help and assistance in understanding careers, making career choices and preparing for your chosen career. Career Development also connects students and graduates with employment opportunities in the region. (For more information)
Stark State offers a variety of activities and involvement beyond the classroom, including student organizations and our new Student Recreation/Game Room in Room S200, on the second floor of the Student Services Center.
Congratulations on making an excellent choice in higher education! Now, let’s get busy and work together to ensure your academic and career success. I hope you have a fabulous Fall Semester and that you will make your academic success a top priority; we certainly will.
Para M. Jones, PhD