List a job opportunity with Stark State
- SSC employer recruiting guidelines (printable version)
Connecting your workforce needs to our Stark State talent
Recruiting and networking with Stark State students is simple and effective.
OPTION 1 – NEW online job board: Handshake
Start by requesting an employer account on our FREE online job board, Handshake – the nation’s premier job board to connect employers with Stark State talent. Choose specific majors to target when you post full-time, part-time, internship, apprenticeship and co-op opportunities for SSC students and alumni to
access and apply. You can also recruit directly by searching by major for student resumes and can view
and register for our upcoming events and career fairs.
Creating a Handshake account is the gateway to all Stark State recruiting opportunities.
Quick steps to create your account
1. Go to https://app.joinhandshake.com/employer_registrations/new
2. Enter your email address and password, then click sign up.
3. On the next page, fill out the appropriate information then click next: employer guidelines.
5. Once you’ve indicated whether or not you’re a third-party recruiter, click next: confirm email.
6. When your confirmation email arrives, click the confirm email button to verify your account.
7. Connect with or create your company:
• If your company already exists in our system, you can click request to connect with that company
and then select next: connect to schools.
• If an incorrect company is suggested or if no company pre-populates, you can use the search bar
to find your company. If your company does not exist within our system, click the create new
8. Connect with us – search “Stark State,” click the + button, then click next: finish.
If you already have a Handshake account and want to connect with Stark State:
9. Click “schools” on the left-hand navigation panel once logged in to your Handshake account.
10. Search for Stark State College.
11. Click the gray “request” button.
OPTION 2 – Weekly “Hot Jobs” email blast
Each week, Career Services emails all current SSC students and alumni with a list of highlighted “Hot Jobs.” These positions come from employers who’ve recently posted on Handshake and asked us to push out their opportunity. After your position is posted, just email Elise Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org with the job ID# and posted position title and we’ll include your position in our email blast. We highlight just 10 positions per week on a first-come, first-served basis. If our list is full for the current week, we’ll let you know we’re highlighting your position the following week.
OPTION 3 – Virtual recruiting
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not currently offering in-person recruiting options for spring 2021,
but we want to help you connect virtually. If you’re looking to get the word out to our students while
they’re in online courses, simply create a PowerPoint slide or a short video (3 minutes or less) describing the job posting, your company and any other pertinent information. We’ll share it with our faculty to
include in their next class. If you’re interested in marketing in any of these ways, contact Elise Moore at
OPTION 4 – Virtual Career Fairs
We offer a variety of boutique and major-focused career fairs based on in-demand jobs in Stark and
Summit counties. This semester, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’re offering virtual career fairs.
View and register for these and other events.
Employer Recruiting Guidelines
Employers must read and comply with our guidelines
The Career Services Office (CSO) of Stark State College endorses and abides by the Principles for
Professional Practice and the Professional Standards for University Relations and Recruiting set for
by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE). For a complete copy of NACE’s
guidelines on Principles for Professional Practice or on Offers to Students and Confidentiality, please visit: naceweb.org/principles/.
Career Services adheres to the aforementioned policies and guidelines to ensure the quality of our
services and reserves the right to modify these terms and conditions at any time.
All decisions regarding recruiting services provided to companies or organizations are made at the
sole discretion of the CSO. The CSO reserves the right to remove postings that do not comply with
our policies, are misleading or is determined to be fraudulently placed without notice.
1. The CSO and Stark State College adhere to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) guidelines and offer employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship, or identity as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era unless legally required. Furthermore, in good faith, the Career Services Office works only with those employers who subscribe to the EEO guidelines.
2. Employers are expected to maintain the confidentiality of student information, regardless of the source, including personal knowledge, written records/reports, and computer databases. An employer shouldn’t disclose information about candidates to another organization without prior written consent, unless necessitated by health and/or safety considerations.
3. Companies must provide specific information about their organization, including a valid website, corporate email, contact information (personal emails not allowed) and a detailed job description. The CSO will review the employer’s website for appropriateness.
4. When posting a job, identify the major/program that would clarify the skill requirements you’re seeking. Go to www.starkstate.edu/academics to see the academic programs offered by Stark State College.
5. The CSO does not recommend or select candidates for employers.
6. Your job postings or e-mail communications may not contain anything that is sexually explicit, obscene, libelous, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, or hateful; or anything that is embarrassing or offensive to another person or entity.
7. You may not use your job postings or e-mail to post advertisements or solicitations for employment in the pornography industry, the gambling industry, or post pyramid schemes.
8. Third-party recruiter services who are hiring for positions within their own organization may be granted on-campus recruiting privileges.
9. Third-party recruiters who are hiring for positions outside their own organization may be granted job posting privileges, but must clearly state both the company name as well as the fact that you represent a third party firm recruiting on behalf of the company.
10. Third-party recruiter services are permitted to attend career fairs, only if they are recruiting for full-time jobs within their own organization, not for their clients.
11. Stark State College Career Services will not approve job postings by companies involved with the use, production, testing or distribution of recreational or medical marijuana.
Prohibited job postings
• Opportunities that involve multi-level marketing, a start-up fee, independent contract (1099) status, commission only compensation, and other irregular arrangements will not be approved for posting or for participation in recruiting events.
• All positions that would employ students for a private individual (i.e. babysitter, tutor, caretaker, photography, etc.) or at a personal residence.
• Jobs and internships that are compensated only by commission, including independent contractor positions (i.e. that may require the individual to bear product expenses, be responsible for income taxes, and may not guarantee worker’s compensation or unemployment insurance).
• All positions that require a fee payment or investment prior to employment.
- DOL Fact Sheet #71