The Stark State College Foundation hosted its 46th Annual Scholars & Benefactors Event virtually on May 7, 2021. The event, which is traditionally held as a celebratory luncheon, moved online this year due to the pandemic. Please click on the video above to experience the wonderful celebration of our student scholars and our generous benefactors. A complete listing of our scholarship recipients and donors can be viewed by clicking the link to the left.
Welcome to the Stark State College Foundation, a 501©3 tax-exempt corporation. Our mission is to open doors to relationships and resources that support the success of our students, partners and communities. Our vision is that all students have access to the resources they need to achieve their academic and career goals.
For more than 30 years, the Foundation has been supporting students in earning high-quality, in-demand degrees through scholarship opportunities.
The Foundation assists Stark State in accomplishing its mission of positively impacting the life of each student and our communities by providing access to high-quality, relevant, and affordable education.
Changing lives and building futures
All gifts to the Stark State College Foundation go directly to support student needs. Individuals, corporations, foundations and service organizations that choose to invest in the Foundation have a number of giving options:
- Provide funds for scholarships that can be named in recognition of a business, foundation or individual
- Establish a memorial gift to honor the memory of a friend or loved one
- Donate special equipment to enhance student education in a particular degree program
- Name Stark State as a beneficiary in a will, trust, insurance policy or annuity
Stark State is state-assisted rather than state-supported. Less than one half of the operating budget is provided by state appropriations. State support is critically important, but it continues to decline as a percentage of the total operating budget.
Ways you can help the Foundation
There are many vehicles available that can be used to support the Stark State College Foundation. Below are a few options to explore.
Endowed scholarships are lasting tributes and an excellent tool that allows a donor to make a permanent charitable gift in perpetuity.
- An endowed scholarship can be established with a minimum of $5,000, in your name, in recognition of a loved one or from multiple donors as a permanent charitable fund.
- The distribution level from endowment assets is critical to the long-term preservation and enhancement of real endowment value. Prudent, professional management ensures your philanthropic goals are met annually.
- Scholarship awards help students to complete their educational goals and become productive citizens. You can customize scholarship criteria to reflect your areas of interest.
Annual scholarship funds
Annual scholarships can be established with a signed commitment designating an annual contribution. Non-endowed gifts can also be set up as special project accounts.
Unrestricted gifts cover a variety of needs, including scholarships, faculty and staff development, and general operating funds not covered through the College’s budget process.
Planned giving opportunities
Planned giving provides donors with the immense personal satisfaction of making a substantial contribution toward the future of Stark State College, while providing financial and tax benefits. From the donor’s financial and estate planning perspective, a planned or “deferred” gift is often the right gift to make, with a number of benefits:
- Perpetuate your beliefs and values
- Direct the disposition of your assets for charitable purposes and avoid unnecessary taxes
- Support the mission of the College in tangible and meaningful ways
- Leave a legacy that will benefit the entire community, because of Stark State’s vital role in community economic development.
There are a number of planned giving opportunities to consider, including:
- Bequests – Provide for Stark State College in your will
- Major planned gifts – Give appreciated assets as part of a succession and/or estate plan, including paid-up life insurance policies, stocks and bonds
- Life-income gifts – Participate in a charitable trust agreement or other gift arrangement that can provide current income to you
- Other gifts – Name the Stark State Foundation as beneficiary of qualified retirement plans or IRAs or as beneficiary of a checking or savings plan.
If an obituary directs contributions to the charity of your choice, you can:
- Write a check for any amount, payable to the Stark State College Foundation.
- Let us know whom you wish to memorialize; when we receive the check, we’ll send a thank you letter with tax deduction information and notify the family that a gift was made by you in memory of the deceased.