Administrative office professional
With skills in information management software and office technology, you’ll find tremendous opportunities and career choices at just about any workplace.
You’ll get a strong background in technical and interpersonal skills and learn to function as an integral part of work groups and management teams, and abilities and acquire skills that also can lead to other career paths, including computers, desktop publishing, administration, human resources and management.
Many courses in this program are web-enhanced or web-delivered and a variety of day, evening, and Saturday class sessions are offered.
Graduates are eligible to take industry-recognized certification exams such as Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS), Certified Administrative Professional (CAP), Organizational Management (OM), and Technology Applications (TA).
Students who are enrolled at the College for at least one semester and who have passed the Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) examination are eligible to receive credit toward an associate of applied business degree in administrative office professional, subject to the review and approval of the appropriate department chair.
In addition, Stark State offers a one-year technical certificate in administrative office professional for non-degree-seeking students. You can apply certificate program credits to the associate degree program.
Work in many areas that include these and others:
- government offices
- legal and medical offices
Prepare for a career in these roles and more
- administrative assistant
- executive assistant
- office manager
- virtual assistant
Your pathway to a degree
You can start with an administrative office professional certificate, taking classes that directly apply to the associate degree in administrative office professional.
Administrative office professional certificate
- Full-time student associate degree (PDF)
- Part-time student associate degree (PDF)
- Course information
- The desktop publishing career enhancement certificate is stackable toward the administrative office professional degree and the administrative office professional – management degree.
- The formatting and office skills career enhancement certificate is stackable toward the administrative office professional degree.
- The Microsoft-certified applications professional career enhancement certificate is stackable toward the administrative office professional degree and the administrative office professional – virtual office professional degree.
- Associate of applied business in administrative office professional
- Franklin University
Program learning outcomes
- Use appropriate resources to organize and develop information effectively in an automated office environment.
- Acquire, organize and evaluate information for making decisions and solving problems in a business environment.
- Demonstrate employability skills and professionalism through sound work habits, ethics and responsibility, and work in individual and diverse team settings.
- Determine solution strategies to solve problems in the office environment by using the appropriate computational skills and technology.
Program related scholarships
- Betty Jean Morford Scholarship
View all scholarships