Phlebotomist is an individual who performs phlebotomy (collection of blood).
Phlebotomists are a critical part of the health care team, collecting blood samples for clinical laboratory analysis. They assist the health care team in the accurate, safe and reliable collection and transportation of specimens.
Phlebotomist skills include being responsible and interacting well with patients. Additional items on the phlebotomy skills checklist include:
- good near vision
- must enjoy working with people
- need to have an ability to comfort those who are fearful of needles
- good manual dexterity
- ability to work under pressure in circumstances
- ability to handle blood and other bodily fluids without discomfort
- arm-hand steadiness
- ability to work with computers
- good documentation and recording information skills
- desire for continuing education to keep abreast of new developments
- ability to process information
- must be able to apply critical thinking to all situations
- must be able to work independently