Dietetic technicians (DTRs) are registered professionals in the food and nutrition area working independently or as part of a team under the supervision of a registered dietitian.
As a DTR you may, under the supervision of a registered dietician,
- interview clients for diet history
- gather data for nutritional assessments
- plan normal and modified diets
- chart medical records
- instruct clients on proper nutrition
- help educate the public.
In food service management, the DTR may
- plan menus
- order and store food supplies
- supervise food production
- hire, supervise and evaluate employees
- maintain high standards of sanitation and safety
- prepare budgets and maintain cost control.