Veterans educational benefit guide | Stark State College | North Canton, Ohio
Military services

Veterans educational benefit guide

Yes, Stark State College is a VA approved school.

If you are eligible for veterans education benefits, contact Stark State’s Certifying Official Jane Shier at 330-494-6170, Ext. 4081 and provide the appropriate paperwork, in order for your enrollment to be certified to the VA.

To use veteran education benefits, you must pursue an approved program. Generally, benefits are not payable for courses that aren’t required for your program(s) of study and do not count toward graduation requirements. Therefore, you must take courses that apply toward your approved program(s) of study.

For information regarding your eligibility for benefits, contact your local county Veterans Services Office, go to the GI Bill website at or call the VA Education Benefits toll-free phone number (888-442-4551). You must apply to the VA using the appropriate application form in order to receive an official determination of your eligibility.

Many veterans and active duty personnel qualify for more than one education benefits program. For detailed information about the various programs available, visit VA GI Bill.

Follow this checklist to get started or contact Military Services at 330 494-6170, Ext. 4939 if you have questions about any steps in the process.

As a servicemember or veteran you have several benefit options available to you. You may be eligible for any or all of the following:

Your family member (the service member) must request and be approved by their military branch to transfer benefits from you. You can then use their benefits as specified by them.

Forms needed for certification: VA 22-1990E Application for Family Member to use Transferred Benefits.

Obtain these forms from Stark State certifying official or visit
Chapters 30, 1606, 1607, and 33
VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program/Place of Training.

Chapter 35
VA Form 22-5495, Request for change of program/place of training for survivor/dependent.

Request official transcripts from all colleges you have attended to be sent to Stark State College Admissions Office, 6200 Frank Ave. NW, North Canton, OH 44720.

Chapter 30, 1607 REAP, & 1606 students must verify their enrollment at the end of each month by the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment system (WAVE) or by the Telephone Education Certification System (877-823-2378.) Payment of your VA benefits will not be made until you verify your enrollment.

Stark State College has established guidelines for students called to active duty, providing a penalty-free method of withdrawing. It is the responsibility of the student to provide written evidence of being called to active duty. This normally would be in the form of activation orders; however, in some instances orders may be delayed and not available.

Students called to active duty during a term in which they are receiving VA Educational Benefits must notify the School Certifying Official and provide a copy of their orders. The College certifying official will report the date of their withdrawal from school to the VA Regional Office and indicate the reason as “Called to Active Duty.”

Please contact Military Services if you have questions or need assistance with this process.

To resume benefits upon return, you must notify the College certifying official.

View official policy and procedure

If your training is two weeks or less, please provide a copy of your orders to your instructors.  These absences should qualify as “excused absences” and should not be subject to penalty.

If your training is  longer than two weeks, please discuss with your instructors to see if it is possible to complete the course.  Contact Military Services if you need assistance with this process.

View military leave of absence and withdrawal policy and procedure

Once you apply to the VA for benefits and your enrollment has been certified by Stark State’s Certifying Official, it will take a minimum of 4-6 weeks for your initial education benefit claim to be processed by the VA.

You must register for classes in an approved program and notify the Stark State certifying official before your enrollment can be certified.

Generally speaking, benefits are paid in arrears, after you verify your enrollment (if applicable). For example, you receive payment for the month of September at the beginning of October, etc. Monthly benefit payments are sent directly to you at the address or checking account you provide the VA. Except for tuition and fees payments for Chapter 33 students, payments are NOT paid directly to Stark State College.

The fastest way to change your address or direct deposit information is to call the VA (800-827-1000) or the direct deposit toll free number at 877-838-2778. To start or change your direct deposit, please have your account information available (account number, 9-digit bank routing number and type of account-checking or saving).

The Stark State College School Certifying Official is responsible for completing all paperwork necessary to certify the enrollment and changes in enrollment for students eligible for VA benefits and is available at 330 494-6170, Ext. 4081 or

You may also contact Military Services at 330 494-6170 ext. 4939 for assistance.

Stark State Logo