What credentials are required to work as a surgical technologist?
- Graduates are eligible to sit for a certification exam through The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting to become a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST). See nbstsa.org for more information.
How is the program designed?
- The program combines classroom, laboratory, and clinical learning experiences.
- Laboratory experiences will be held on campus and at Mercy Medical Center.
- Clinical experiences are provided at area hospitals and surgical centers in Stark and surrounding counties. Students are required to complete a specified number and types of cases per clinical rotation.
What is the mission and goal of the program?
- The mission of the surgical technology program is to provide an affordable, yet valuable education dedicated to academic excellence and additionally provide the fundamental skills and tools to produce a competent certified surgical technologist.
- The goal of the program is to provide students with the opportunity to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to gain employment as entry-level surgical technologists and become contributing members of the surgical healthcare team. This will be accomplished by preparing the students in the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective learning domains.
What are the eligibility requirements to apply to the program?
- Overall GPA of 2.5 or higher
- B or higher in Intro to Anatomy and Physiology
- B or higher in MTH 091 and MTH 092 or math proficiency
- B or higher in ITD 100 or computer proficiency
- Background check
Note: Students must be at least 18 years old and a high school graduate or equivalency to start taking technical courses.
See application details at Surgical Technology Application
Is Stark State College an equal opportunity institution?
- Stark State College is committed to equal opportunity for all and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, military status, pregnancy, disability, age, genetic information, or sexual orientation.
How do I apply to the program?
- Apply to Stark State College
- Meet with an admissions counselor
- Print the Surgical Technology Application from the website.
- After the first semester, contact your program advisor for assistance with scheduling.
- Complete the above course and GPA requirements.
- Complete required background checks
- When you have completed all application requirements, contact the Surgical Technology Program Coordinator for an appointment to review your application at 330-966-5458.
- You must bring the completed application and background check eligibility notification to the appointment.
What are some important things I should know?
- Students must maintain a “C” or better in all courses in the curriculum (technical and non-technical).
- Students may not be able to be placed at clinical sites or find employment if they have a positive background check. See health and public services criminal background check information for a list of potential disqualifying offenses.
- You may have difficulty finding a job if you smoke.