As part of the enrollment process, every first-time Stark State College degree-seeking student is required to take the ACCUPLACER® exam, a computer-based placement test, unless he/she has ACT scores. ACCUPLACER tests your knowledge in math, reading, and writing. These tests help identify your strengths and needs in each subject area.
- Students may elect to take the ACCUPLACER® exam if they have ACT scores.
- Students may retake the ACCUPLACER® exam one (1) time.
- Students with applicable transfer credits are not required to test in that area.
- Students are also required to take a supplemental Computer Skills exam that test general knowledge and skills required for basic use of computer hardware, software and the Internet.
Required Course Placement
First-time SSC degree-seeking students are required to complete all developmental courses into which they are placed by ACCUPLACER® or ACT scores and that are required by their programs, beginning with their first semester of credit enrollment and continuing for all subsequent semesters to completion. Reading proficiency is required of all students as determined by placement or course completion. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis for a student returning after an absence at the discretion of the subject department chair or designee.
Preparing for ACCUPLACER®
Monday, November 13: 5 – 8 p.m.
Location: Gateway Center (M101)
Wednesday, November 15: 5 – 8 p.m.
Location: Business and Entrepreneurial Center (B100)
A. Register for a COLLEGE ENTRANCE EXAM PREPARATION (CEEP) workshop. Informational Flyer
The workshops are led by professional instructors that will thoroughly explain each section of the tests.
You will be taught:
Objective of the FREE CEEP Workshops:
- To help new student applicants prepare to take the ACCUPLACER® and Computer Skills exams.
- To help new student applicants save time and money that is spent for (non-credit) developmental courses.
- To better the new student applicants’ chances of scoring higher on the tests, which could result in acceptance into a for-credit class.
- To explain and demonstrate the math, reading, writing and computer skills sections of the ACCUPLACER® and Computer Skills exams.
- To help reduce test anxiety.
**Check back for future dates, or contact Lydia Lee at email@example.com for more information.**
B. Take the ACCUPLACER® assessment
Set up an appointment to take the ACCUPLACER® exam; call 330-494-6170, ext. 4228 or stop in room M110 at the
C. View Student Resources
When you are ready to schedule day and time to take the ACCUPLACER® exam
call or visit:
Office of Admissions
330-494-6170, ext. 4228
GATEWAY CENTER Room M110
A. Test days/Times
- Monday – Wednesday until 4:30
- Thursday – Friday – until 2:00
- Plan to arrive approximately 15 minutes prior to your testing time to sign in.
- Park in visitor lot in front of the Gateway building.
- There is no charge
D. What to bring
- You must bring a photo ID, Student ID number.
E. Timing (The test is not timed and generally takes 90 minutes to complete.)
- Reading Comprehension – 20 questions
- Math – The amount of total questions is based on the amount of questions answered correctly. The higher number answered correctly will result in being moved onto a second math test (from Elementary to College-level Math).
- Write Placer – A minimum of two paragraphs is needed to provide an accurate placement. The more you write, the more accurately you will be placed.
- Computer Skills – 30 questions
F. Test Materials
- We will provide all necessary testing materials. Calculators are NOT permitted.
G. Test Results
- You will receive your results immediately after testing.
Computer Bare Basics
If you need to learn to use a computer or brush up on your computer skills:
A. Attend Computer Bare Basics Workshops
Objective of the FREE and unlimited computer bare basics workshops:
- computer components
- Windows operating system navigation
- computer vocabulary
- file management
- Microsoft office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access)
- mouse skills
- typing skills
- the internet and browser
B. See the SSC events calendar for upcoming Computer Bare Basics dates.
To register for the free Computer Bare Basics workshops contact:
ACCUPLACER and Computer Basics Training Specialist
Phone: 330 494-6170, Ext. 4977
Office: Room K205