As part of the enrollment process, every first-time Stark State College degree-seeking student is required to take the ACCUPLACER® exam, a computer-based placement test, unless he/she has ACT scores. ACCUPLACER tests your knowledge in math, reading, and writing. These tests help identify your strengths and needs in each subject area.
- Students may elect to take the ACCUPLACER® exam if they have ACT scores.
- Students may retake the ACCUPLACER® exam one (1) time.
- Students with applicable transfer credits are not required to test in that area.
- Students are also required to take a supplemental Computer Skills exam that test general knowledge and skills required for basic use of computer hardware, software and the Internet.
Required Course Placement
First-time SSC degree-seeking students are required to complete all developmental courses into which they are placed by ACCUPLACER® or ACT scores and that are required by their programs, beginning with their first semester of credit enrollment and continuing for all subsequent semesters to completion. Reading proficiency is required of all students as determined by placement or course completion. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis for a student returning after an absence at the discretion of the subject department chair or designee.
Preparing for ACCUPLACER®
A. Register for a COLLEGE ENTRANCE EXAM PREPARATION (CEEP) workshop.
- This workshop will help you to prepare to take the ACCUPLACER® and Computer Skills exams.
- You are encouraged to take this workshop to save time and money spent for developmental courses.
The workshops are led by professional instructors that will thoroughly explain each section of the tests.
You will be taught:
- The benefits of the ACCUPLACER® exam.
- What to expect on the math, reading, writing and computer skills portion of the ACCUPLACER® and Computer Skills exams.
- How to reduce test anxiety.
Wednesday, April 12
Wednesday, April 19
View the college entrance exam preparation
B. Take the ACCUPLACER® assessment
Set up an appointment to take the ACCUPLACER® exam; call 330-494-6170, ext. 4228 or stop in room M110 at the
C. Attend Computer Bare Basics
If you need to brush up on your computer skills, register for FREE Computer Bare Basics workshops.
You will be taught:
- Computer components
- Computer vocabulary
- File Management
- Microsoft Office
- Mouse skills
- Typing skills
- The Internet and browser
- Windows operating system navigation
See the SSC events calendar for upcoming Computer Bare Basics dates.
To register for the free Computer Bare Basics workshops contact:
COMPASS and Computer Basics Training Specialist
Phone: 330 494-6170, Ext. 4977
Office: Room K205