Fall 2021 commencement ceremony
- Sunday, January 9, 2022
- 2 p.m.
- Canton Civic Center
Candidates should arrive between 12:30 and 1:15 p.m. in the McKinley Room of the Canton Civic Center. Arrival after 1:15 p.m. cannot guarantee participation in the ceremony.
There is no rehearsal prior to the ceremony. The ceremony will last approximately 2 hours.
Commencement will be at the Canton Civic Center, 1100 Market Ave N, Canton, OH 44702. See www.cantonciviccenter.com for directions.
Cap and gown
Caps, gowns, announcements, and tassels may be picked up at the COLLEGE STORE December 6- 30. There is no fee for the cap and gown. If you have any questions about regalia, please contact the bookstore at 330-966-5452.
There are no tickets for the ceremony. Seating is on a first come, first serve basis. Ushers will be available to direct guests to seating.
- Line Up: Candidates will go to the Graduate Check-In table to receive their seating assignment. Candidates will line up, fully dressed, in the McKinley Room. Please do not bring any personal items with you that you cannot carry on you.
- Tassels: During the processional and the ceremony, the tassel should be worn on the front right of the cap to represent associate degree candidate. Those graduating Phi Theta Kappa will wear the gold stole and tassel. At the conclusion of the ceremony, the President will instruct graduates to move the tassel to a position that represents the newly conferred degree.
GradImages® will take a photograph of each candidate as he/she crosses the stage. Approximately three weeks after the ceremony, each candidate will receive a proof of the picture taken along with ordering instructions sent to their Stark State email address.
Candidates and guests requiring accommodation assistance because of disability should call the Disabilities Services at 330-494-6170 ext 4935 by December 30. Seating areas are available for guests who use wheelchairs or cannot climb stairs with family seating in nearby arena seats.
Candidates with an overall GPA of 3.80 or better will graduate with “High Distinction”. Graduates with an overall GPA of 3.40 or better will graduate with “With Distinction”.
There are no cords for distinction. Distinction is announced with the graduate’s name at the ceremony.
Candidates who are Phi Theta Kappa members will receive a letter from Student Life Coordinator, Shari Brooks, with instructions to pick up regalia.
Degrees will be posted to transcripts on Monday, December 27, 2021. If you order a transcript before your degree is posted, mark the request to indicate that the transcript should be “hold for degree.”
Diplomas will be available for pick up January 10-13 from 8 a.m.-7 p.m. or Friday, January 14, from 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. in Gateway Center, Career Services Office, room M104. Please bring a photo ID. If diploma is not picked up during that week, it will be mailed to the address on file with Stark State College. Diplomas will be held if fees are owed to the college. Prior to picking up your diploma, you are required to complete a Graduation Survey. This survey will be sent via email to your student email. If you do not take the survey prior to picking up your diploma, you will be asked to take the survey in person.
Parking is available ($7 cash or check only) in the parking garage directly next to the Canton Civic Center. There may also be some limited parking along the street within walking distance.
Tips for an extraordinary ceremony
- Leave personal items like coats and purses with guests. There are no facilities available for storing these items during ceremony. Therefore, Stark State College cannot be held responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged items.
- Arrive early enough to allow adequate time to line up with your technology.
- There is no formal rehearsal for the ceremony, although a detailed explanation of the ceremony will be reviewed in the McKinley room. It is important to follow the Marshals from your academic division. They will assist you as you line up and lead you into the civic center to your seat.
For graduation applications, requirements and procedures, current students can visit the “My Stuff” page on mystarkstate or stop in the Gateway Center. Any questions regarding graduation should be directed to the registrar.