The Stark State College Foundation
Pathway to the Future
The Stark State Foundation is committed to providing resources to help Stark State College accomplish its mission of providing accessible, quality associate degree programs, training and lifelong education in a diverse and supportive learning environment.
The Stark State Foundation exists to bridge the gap between the needs and resources of Stark State College.
The non-profit, tax exempt corporation was established in 1986 to raise funds to provide assistance to Stark State students who would like to enhance their lives through education and training. The Foundation supports the college in areas that are not supported by taxes, tuition, or grants.
Stark State Foundation Board of Directors
As a 501(c) 3 organization, the Stark State Foundation is managed by board of directors comprised of business and community leaders. They oversee the Foundation’s fund-raising and investment management to ensure that donors’ interests are always met. In addition, they ensure they work closely with the College president and vice president for advancement and external relations to ensure that the College has the resources it needs to accomplish its mission and serve students. Members of the Foundation Board are listed here.
Our Students, Our Success, Our Spirit
As a community-based college of technology, Stark State changes lives in so many ways. We’ve created a climate that encourages personal and academic growth by offering a variety of programs to meet the needs of our changing world. However, as more and more students arrive on our doorstep, the need for support increases.
In reaching out to meet the varied needs of our student population, the Stark State Foundation encourages charitable giving by the private sector. Individuals, corporations, foundations and service organizations that choose to invest in the Foundation have a number of giving options:
- Provide funds for scholarships that can be named for a business, foundation or individual
- Establish a memorial – a gift in honor or in memory of a friend or loved one
- Donate special equipment to enhance student education in a particular degree program
- Naming Stark State as a beneficiary in a will, trust, insurance policy or annuity
Stark State is state-assisted rather than state-supported. Less than one-half of the operating budget is provided by state appropriations. State support is critically important, but it continues to decline as a percentage of the total operating budget.
Would you like to support Stark State students and the community?
Planned giving opportunities at Stark State
Stark State College needs and seeks the support of the community in order to continue helping students to achieve their educational goals and become productive members of our community. Stark State has been sustained by people like Don and Pauline Colaner, who feel a personal responsibility to support our efforts. Click here to read about how their special gifts have been an important impetus in bringing Stark State to its present strong position as a leader among two-year colleges.
Planned giving is one of a number of giving opportunities available. A planned gift provides donors with the immense personal satisfaction of making a substantial contribution toward the future of Stark State College, and provides financial and tax benefits. From the donor’s financial perspectives and estate planning, a planned or “deferred” gift is often the right gift or the best gift to make. Planned giving provides a number of benefits and opportunities to:
- Perpetuate one’s beliefs and values;
- Direct the disposition of one’s assets for charitable purposes and avoid unnecessary taxes;
- Support the mission of the College in tangible and meaningful ways;
- Leave a legacy that will benefit the entire community, because of Stark State’s vital role in community economic development.
There are a number of planned giving opportunities to consider, including:
- Bequests – Provide for Stark State College in your will.
- Major planned gifts – Give appreciated assets as part of a succession and/or estate plan. Paid-up life insurance policies, stocks and bonds may be gifted.
- Life-income gifts – Participate in a charitable trust agreement or other gift arrangement that can provide current income to you.
- Other gifts – Name the Stark State Foundation as beneficiary of Qualified Retirement Plans or IRAs or as beneficiary of a checking or savings plan.
Did you know you can support Stark State with a memorial gift?
If an obituary directs contributions to the charity of your choice, you can:
- Write a check for any amount payable to the Stark State Foundation.
- Let us know whom you wish to memorialize.
When we receive the check, we will:
- Send a thank you letter with tax deduction information.
- Notify the family that a gift was made by you in memory of the deceased.
All contributions to the Stark State Foundation go directly to support student needs.
For more information, please contact Jayne Sterner, email@example.com, phone 330-494-6170, Ext. 4416 for information.