International students | Stark State College | North Canton, Ohio
african american female

International students

Stark State College welcomes qualified F1 visa holders from other countries and wants to make your educational experience pleasant and meaningful.

According to 8 CFR 214.3(a)(2), a community college or junior college (provides instruction in liberal arts or in the professions and awards recognized associate degrees) is eligible to enroll F1 students.

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) certification allows institutions to issue Forms I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, to prospective international students after admitting them for a course of study. Prospective international students then use Form I-20 to apply for a visa to enter the United States.

Start on your path to career success today!

These procedures are for international students holding an F1 visa who apply for admissions to SSC.

International student admissions procedure

An application must be completed and submitted to SSC using the international application available online.

Submit original or certified copies of the record in the original language with English translations of the records that show completion of an equivalent level of education in a four-year high school in the U.S.  Submit original or certified copies of the official transcripts and/or examination results issued by the high school or examination board. Photocopies may be submitted in addition to the originals if requesting to have original returned.

  1. Official U.S. college or university transcript
  2. Foreign college records: If you would like to request transfer credits for courses completed, please have your original or certified copies in the original language and English translations of the records.

Students that have foreign college transcripts and high school transcripts need to have them evaluated through a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). This will ensure these courses/programs allow transfer credits into our programs/curriculums and validate degree completion. guides you through 19 different choices for current members of NACES that we can use for evaluation.

Choose one:

  1.  TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) – SSC institutional code is 1688. Paper-based test (minimum score of 500) or Internet-based test (minimum total score of 61 AND no score below 18 on both reading and writing sections).
  2. IELTS (International English Language Test): Minimum score of 6.0
  3.  ACT (American College Test): Minimum English score of 18 or higher
  4.   AP (Advanced Placement Exam): English composition and literature test score of 3 or higher
  5.  Transfer credit in college-level English with a grade of  “C” or better from an accredited U.S. college or university

Please note: Test results must not be more than two years old. Testing may be waived if you have earned a degree from an accredited U.S. college/university or have completed a college level English composition course with a grade of “C” or above from an accredited college/university within the U.S.

Please provide an original letter on official letterhead from a bank or other financial institutions in which the sponsor has saving deposits, or other types of accounts containing readily available funds. Also provide date accounts opened and specific amount of funds in the account. Names listed as account holder on bank statement must match names and signatures on affidavit of financial support form. The statement must be in English, signed and sealed by the appropriate bank or government official. This information must be dated within six month of the intended date of enrollment. No business accounts will be accepted.

Submit photocopies of your passport pages, including visa page, front and back of the I-94 (and, if transferring, your current student and exchange visitor information system (SEVIS) I-20 along with any transfer forms).

Stark State Logo