Counseling support services empowers our students to define and achieve their personal, social and educational goals. This is accomplished primarily through the following services: individual counseling, workshops, outreach services, support groups, and referrals. The major function of the Student Support office is to provide services, which support students as they pursue their academic goals and promote students’ academic and personal development.
- Individual counseling sessions are available to assist the student with personal concerns, such as:
- adjustment to college/stressors
- depression/suicidal ideation
- balancing demands of school, family, work, etc.
- physical violence/domestic violence
- relationship issues
- body image /eating disorders
- grief and loss issues
- family conflict/family member issues
- self esteem
- difficulty with alcohol and/or drugs
- test anxiety
- decision making/goal setting
- stress management
- time management/procrastination
- study skills
- A comprehensive community referral system to direct students to off-campus agencies for additional assistance.
- Services are provided at no cost to Stark State College students.
Intervention services are meant to provide support and guidance to assist the college administration, faculty, and staff with supporting student academic success.
- Assist college administration, faculty, and staff in the critical area of crisis planning and intervention.
- Coordinate with a team of campus wide supports to identify and provide behavioral interventions as needed.
- Maintain collaborative working relationships with local mental health professionals to coordinate treatment services and referrals.
- Provide training to the campus community for recognizing and handling students in need of assistance.
- Consulting in various ways including classroom assistance as requested. For example, meetings with instructors, classroom observation, etc.
- Awareness raising activities, issues including stress management, mental health, anxiety, etc.
STEP UP and SPEAK OUT – suicide prevention
Step Up and Speak Out is a suicide prevention initiative (HB 28) created to assist you in making choices when responding to individuals in emotional distress, those at risk for suicide and those who may exhibit disruptive behavior.
For counseling or intervention services:
Contact Elizabeth Inkinen Schehl PCC-S at Ext. 4219, email email@example.com or stop by room B230g to schedule an appointment. For services at SSC Akron please stop by A113e or the front Gateway office to schedule an appointment.
If you are in a counseling emergency 24/7, please call the Stark County Crisis Center at 330-452-6000, Summit County at 330-493-9144 , the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or the Crisis Text Line by texting 4HOPE to 741-741.