Out-of-state academic student complaint procedure | Stark State College | North Canton, Ohio
eStarkState online learning

Out-of-state academic student complaint procedure

Out of state students taking online classes at Stark State College should attempt to resolve any issues or complaints with the College first. If, after following the College’s student complaint – academic procedure, an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint about Stark State College with your state by referring to the following state agencies.*

  *Compliant with U.S. Department of Education state authorization regulations.



Agency name and telephone

Link / information about complaint process

Alabama Alabama Commission on Higher Education
Telephone: (334) 242-1998
Alaska Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education
Telephone: (907) 465-2962
Arizona Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education
Telephone: (602) 542-5709
Arkansas Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Telephone: (501) 371-2000
ADHE requires the certified institution to make a decision on the student grievance following the institution’s public policy.  Inquiries into student grievances must be limited to AHECB certified (under Arkansas Code §6‐61‐301) courses/degree programs and institutions and to matters related to the criteria for certification. Within 20 days of completing the institution’s grievance procedures, the student may file the complaint in writing with the ICAC Coordinator, Arkansas Department of Higher Education, 114 East Capitol, Little Rock, AR 72201. The grievant must provide a statement from the institution verifying that the institution’s appeal process has been followed. ADHE will notify the institution of the grievance within 15 days of the filing. Within 10 days after ADHE notification, the institution must submit a written response to ADHE. Other action may be taken by ADHE as needed.
California California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
Telephone: (916) 431-6959
Colorado Colorado Department of Higher Education
Telephone: (303) 866-2723
Connecticut Connecticut Office of Higher Education
Telephone: (860) 947-1801
Delaware Delaware Department of Education
Telephone: (302) 735-4000
District of Columbia District of Columbia Education Licensure Commission
Telephone: (202) 727-6436
Florida Contact the Ohio Board of Regents


Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission
Telephone: (770) 414-3300
Hawaii Hawaii Post-secondary Education Authorization Program
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Telephone: (808) 933-0910
Idaho Idaho State Board of Education
Telephone: (208) 334-2270
Illinois Illinois Board of Higher Education
Telephone: (217) 782-2551
Indiana Indiana Commission on Higher Education
Telephone: (317) 232-1320
Iowa Iowa College Student Aid Commission
Telephone: (515) 725-3400
Kansas Kansas Board of Regents
Telephone: (785) 296-4917
Kentucky Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
Telephone: (502) 573-1555
Louisiana Louisiana Board of Regents
Telephone: (225) 342-4253
Maine Maine Department of Education
Telephone: (207) 624-6600
Maryland Maryland Higher Education Commission
Telephone: (410) 767-3301
The institution is subject to investigation of complaints by the Office of the Attorney General or the Maryland Higher Education Commission.
Individuals who wish to submit a complaint may use the following contact information:
Maryland Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, 200 St. Paul St., Baltimore, MD 21202;  410-528-8662/(888)743-0823 (toll free)
Massachusetts Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
Telephone: (617) 994-6950
Michigan Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Telephone: (517) 373-1820
Minnesota Minnesota Office of Higher Education
Telephone: (651) 642-0567
Mississippi Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation
Telephone: (601) 432-6198
Missouri Missouri Department of Higher Education
Telephone: (573) 751-2361
Montana Montana University System, Montana Board of Regents
Telephone: (406) 444-6570
Nebraska Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education
Telephone: (402) 471-2847
Nevada Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education
Telephone: (702) 486-7330
New Hampshire New Hampshire Department of Education
Telephone: (603) 271-3494
New Jersey New Jersey Secretary of Higher Education
Telephone: (609) 588-3226
New Mexico New Mexico Higher Education Department
Telephone: (505) 476-8400
New York New York Office of College and University Evaluation
Telephone: (518) 474-2593
North Carolina The University of North Carolina Board of Governors
Telephone: (919) 807-7146
North Dakota North Dakota University System
Telephone: (701) 328-3180
Ohio Ohio Board of Regents
Telephone: (614) 466-2752
Oklahoma Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
Telephone: (405) 255-9100
Oregon Oregon Office of Degree Authorization
Telephone: (503) 947-5600
All complaints about schools under our regulatory jurisdiction or an exempt status approved by this office are handled by Office of Degree Authorization (ODA) staff. Complaints about exempt schools are referred to the Attorney General’s office.
We accept written or email complaints. When a complaint is received, we first evaluate the information to substantiate its relevance to Oregon rules and statutes. If the complaint appears to have merit or indicate non-compliance on the part of the school, we contact the school to request information regarding the case. All correspondence is kept in the school’s file. We continue to mediate between the student and the school until it we receive an indication that the complaint is unfounded or resolved.
Please call ODA for more information at (541) 687-7400 – Eugene/Springfield area and (800) 452-8807 – Toll-free; Juan.baez-arevalo@state.or.us
Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Department of Education, Division of Higher
Telephone: (717) 783-6137
Puerto Rico Puerto Rico Council on Education
Telephone: (787) 641-7100
Rhode Island Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education
Telephone: (401) 456-6008
South Carolina South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
Telephone: (803) 737-2260
South Dakota South Dakota Secretary of State
Telephone: (605) 773-3455
Tennessee Tennessee Higher Education Commission
Telephone: (615) 741-3605
Texas Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Telephone: (512) 427-6101
The web address for the rules governing student complaints – Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code, Sections 1.110-1.120 is found at:  http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=19&pt=1&ch=1&rl=116
Utah Utah Division of Consumer Protection
Telephone: (801) 530-6601
Vermont Vermont State Board of Education
Telephone: (802) 828-3135
Virginia State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
Telephone: (804) 371-2285
Washington Washington Student Achievement Council
Telephone: (360) 753-7869
Students may submit a formal complaint to the Washington Student Achievement Council, provided it is against an institution authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council and is within one year of the last date of attendance. For more information, please contact the Washington Student Achievement Council at 360‐753‐7800. http://www.wsac.wa.gov/student-complaints
West Virginia West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
Telephone: (304) 558-4016
Wisconsin Wisconsin Educational Approval Board
Telephone: 608) 266-1996
Wyoming Wyoming Department of Education
Telephone: (307) 777-5712


Stark State Logo