FAFSA common errors | Stark State College | North Canton, Ohio
Financial aid

FAFSA common errors

Making mistakes on your FAFSA could delay your application and possibly make you miss out on some financial aid. Be sure to read all of the questions on the FAFSA application carefully to avoid confusion and submission of incorrect information.

Avoid common FAFSA mistakes


To complete the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you will need:

  • Your social security number
  • Your alien registration number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  • Your latest federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the FUTURE Act Direct Data Exchange – FA-DDX.)
  • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
  • Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
  • An FSA ID to sign electronically.

Note: If you are a dependent student, then you will also need most of the above information for your parent(s).

Get help

Check the help section of the FAFSA website or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1‐800‐4‐FED AID (1‐800‐433‐3243).

Stark State Logo