Line worker technician
FirstEnergy employs a large workforce of power line and substation employees who work on our transmission and distribution system every day to ensure safe and reliable electric service to the customers in our service area. Lineworkers are responsible for the construction, maintenance and repair of transmission and distribution lines, while substation electricians construct, inspect and maintain our substation equipment. Whether they are testing substation performance, constructing distribution lines for a new residential development, or repairing damaged power lines after a storm, line workers and substation employees enjoy fast-paced and rewarding careers.
FirstEnergy’s electric utility operating companies routinely hire employees in the following areas:
Line work is physically demanding, with exposure to harsh weather and temperature extremes. Qualifications for these positions include:
- Successful completion of the Journeyman Lineman Apprenticeship program, or the equivalent.
- Ability to safely work on energized and de-energized transmission and distribution equipment and facilities.
- Ability to safely climb wood poles and steel towers – ranging from 35 to 50 feet tall – to perform work on distribution lines.
- Class “A” commercial driver’s license (CDL).
- Ability to operate various types of large equipment, including boom trucks, bucket trucks, forklifts, trenching equipment, backhoes and other pieces of line-construction equipment.
This program is in collaboration with FirstEnergy and requires an additional selective and competitive application process. For more information, call 1-800-829-6801 or go to www.firstenergycorp.com/psi where the selection process link will give you the next scheduled information session at Stark State College.