Note: Surgical assisting technology is an advanced one-year certificate. Candidates must possess specific credentials and previous work experience to apply to this program. Deadline to apply is May 15.
Surgical Assistants are highly skilled, credentialed surgical health professionals who work under the direction of a surgeon to help carry out a safe operation with optimal patient results. Surgical Assistants are trained in surgery and undergo rigorous credentialing to practice in that role.
What job duties do Surgical Assistants perform?
- Determine specific equipment needed for procedure
- Review surgical permit to confirm procedure and special needs
- Assist in preparation of the patient for surgery
- Drape patient within surgeon’s guidelines
- Assist with surgical procedure
- Making initial incision (opening)
- Exposing the surgical site (retracting)
- Controlling bleeding (hemostasis)
- Surgically removing veins and arteries (harvesting)
- Reconnecting tissue (suturing)
- Completing the operation and reconnecting external tissue (closing)
- Select and apply wound dressings
- Assist with resuscitation or other life threatening events in operating room